Saturday, August 2, 2008

Virginia Byways

Today's Greeting
In Virginia, the most beautiful of the country roads are called Virginia Byways..
Today, we took a long drive, just enjoying the scenery and the beautiful day.

I only took the little Lumix, so the eastern kingbird sitting on the post at the right just had to be part of the scenery. And you know what? I really didn't feel bad at not being able to pull him in with my big glass.....a time for everything.

This is a good year here for crops...

Not quite ready...

This reminded me of Eve's wonderful posts showing the process...I had to be content with the results.

For some reason, I really wanted to get some nice photos of cattle - but all we saw were black ones, and the light was a bit harsh to do a good job.

This one was just resting and chewing...it looks like something is wrong with his right eye. I don't eat beef, and the whole meat industry makes me sad.


This is the gate house at one of the huge horse farms...Now, this is not merely wealth - it's serious money.

Pretty little country church..with purple doors (????)

One reason I didn't lug the big equipment was that I was looking for some photos to "paint"

Like this....


And this...

And this...



16 comments:

Mary said...

Wonderful photos! Love that little church. It's interesting to see how much where you live looks like where I just vacationed in Kentucky. They have some serious horse farms there, too, but I didn't get any good pictures. Our corn may be a bit further along then yours. Looks like a wonderful drive!

Eve said...

Thanks so much for taking us Helen! I had a big smile when I saw the round bale!! And then laughed when you mentioned me!! I love the stone house (oh the kingbird, one of my favorites) and the church with the purple door too! I LOVE the artwork! All three are great, I don't know which I like best but I really enjoy seeing the barn in the distance. I should ask you again to tell the software you use for the painting...I could go back tho, I know you mentioned it before! Just beautiful and also I love the little white-throated sparrow in your greeting. So Sweet!

Anonymous said...

Isn't Virginia beautiful! I love it. I know what you mean about wanting to paint pictures...it's fun. These are some mighty fine ones you've done!

abb said...

Lovely! How do you do that effect? It's awesome.

Anonymous said...

Lovely scenes Helen and I like the photo paints particularly the house and scene. I agree about the meat industry as well (being a Vegetarian, I would do)

Jayne said...

Beautiful scenery Helen. :c) Love that little church, and all of your "paintings."

Michele said...

Beautiful photography... I especially loved that little country church, regardless of the purple doors.
Mountain Retreat

Dave Coulter said...

I liked that gate house!

NCmountainwoman said...

What a wonderful drive. The pictures are great and I love the "painting." Thanks for taking us along VA byways.

kjpweb said...

That is a beautiful route to take!
Cheers, Klaus

Stacey Olson said...

Great painted photos. I understand, about the time for everything comment. Sometimes it is nice to go out and just enjoy without a second agenda. My husband chokes when He asks if I want to go back and take a picture and I say "NO"... If you don't mind me asking, What version of Photoshop are you using?(lol just went back and read the other comments, seems like a common question today>>>lol)

Shelley said...

I enjoyed all your photos - I liked the cattle in the background of the field photo - felt sad for the little guy w/ the bad eye - and would love to have any of those paintings hanging in my log cabin!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Helen: What a fun drive and you have a great eye for beauty.

troutbirder said...

Ours are called "scenic byways" and leisurely drive are among my favorite activities. It look like the ones in Virginia are special also. Thanks

jalynn01 said...

Nothing prettier than country scenes. I love to travel country roads and to see yours through your pictures. Thanks!

2sweetnsaxy said...

It was a beautiful day and really enjoyed the pictures of your day. That little church was great and seemed so fitting in the midst of all of them. And good job on the paintings! I've always wanted to paint...just never did.