Friday, April 11, 2008

You Just Never Know

OK, it's mid-April, nice weather (actually GREAT weather - it turned out to be 80 degrees...Hurray!!); should see some migratory birds in the park, right? Wrong! Not one warbler did we hear or see. As predicted, we saw this towhee and many of his cousins. Also saw catbirds, downy woodpeckers, turkeys, and heard a flicker. A few deer crossed our path (NO BEAR). Other than that, it was pretty quiet in the woods.
It was a lovely day to be in the mountains anyway.
The towhees are always ready for a photo-op.

Not so, this turkey!

How grumpy looking is this guy? I can't believe I photographed another snake! But he was very skinny and quiet - I think he must have just come out and was trying to warm himself. (He may have to go right back under his rock - it's going to get chilly again after a stormy week-end. )

12 comments:

The Birdlady said...

But I wanted warblers....whine!
Anyway, thanks. I really value your opinion.
Re: bears - I think they're still sleeping - the rangers said no sightings yet.

Naturegirl said...

Great images..love the grump the best..not always this close to a snakes head!

The Birdlady said...

Thanks, NG. Believe me, I don't really care to be this close to a snake, but this one was so sluggish he couldn't have moved any faster than I could!

Stacey Olson said...

I am surprised that you say the bear are still sleeping if it has been that warm..It's still pretty cold here and they have been waking for over a month.. I didn't get to see any either, just tacks. :-( Have a great weekend..

The Birdlady said...

Stacey, it hasn't been that warm - I think we might have missed spring - we keep vacillating between winter and summer! Maybe they just decided to sleep till it settles down. Dunno.

Jotter Jan said...

Loved the Towhee shot!!! They are so shy it makes it difficult to get a great shot like that!

The Birdlady said...

Thanks, JJ. He was really cooperative.

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Fantastic pictures. I love your post today. Too bad about no bears. I keep wanting to see bear, bobcat, fox, or moose. So far, so bad. ;) I haven't seen a Towhee in years. Beautiful picture. I love the sounds they make. The snake picture is outstanding, too!! Wow!

The Birdlady said...

Thanks Lin..you'd love Shenandoah; the towhees are the main singers there most of the time. I'm thinking maybe the bears don't like my hat!

kjpweb said...

Great shot of the Toehee. And cool one of the snake! Bravo!
Cheers, Klaus

The Birdlady said...

Thanks Klaus.

Mel said...

Great snake picture!!